So what design should I go for? My priorities are
- Simple to build (given access to a good makerspace with a lasercutter).
- Low maintenance (both that it is designed to not break and that what breaks is easy to fix).
- Compatible with common software/materials
- Good print volume compared to size
Note that print speed is not a priority. I'd rather have a slow machine that works than a fast one that doesn't.
My current prime candidates are
- Something like a scaled-down X400 (but not at that price!)
- Some sort of delta printer (but they're kinda high)
- An Ultimaker (but just how easy is fixing on them?)
but I'm very open to suggestions.