Sunday 24 May 2020

Prints That Go Boom in the Afternoon

More work on the temperature tower, since I want to calibrate that for PLA as well. Also, I should probably calibrate it separately for separate nozzles sizes. Anyway, feeling too lazy to change all the numbers in Bob long if-clause, I change it to this:

; For Fast_Informative_Temperature_Tower, 10 levels at 8mm
M104 S{230 - (4 * int((layer_z / 8)))}

While this doesn't show the exact temperatures at each level, it is a lot more concise and easy to adapt to other temperature combinations.

Printing the temperature tower with the 0.25mm nozzle takes a lot longer than with the 0.8mm, but it actually looks nice, and doesn't wobble eerily when printing the top. This minimal tower is rather unstable.

The PLA tower with 0.25mm nozzle is simply... perfect. At all temperatures from 230 to 190, no stringing, no change in the quality. I had to go into the gcode and double-check the output from above to convince myself that it was doing the right thing. 

No, it's not twisted, that's just the perspective.

A PETG tower with the 0.25mm nozzle (Z offset -1.05) and temperatures from 250 down to 210 gave me an entirely new experience: An exploding print. I was sitting next to the printer when I head this sound of plastic bouncing around, and this is what I saw:


Look in the background, there's where the parts landed.

The pieces collected. A part of the foremost pieces has also fractured off, but stayed put.

At too low a temperature, the print simply fractured - probably from the stress of being pulled back and forth. It's really difficult to see the stringing, but I think 230 is about the right temperature. Unless I am missing a chunk, it broke off while printing the 224°C layer. So my previous test with the 0.8mm nozzle giving the best result at 220°C doesn't work well here.

I'm surprised that this would happen with PETG, it's supposed to be less brittle that PLA.

No comments:

Post a Comment