Sunday 5 July 2020

Stripped again, and out of tubes

I was trying out some semi-transparent blue filament from UniCoFil. The temperature tower had quite a bit of stringing, so I tried with 2mm retraction. That, unfortunately, led to stripping when the next temperature tower got to 195C. Despite trying to help the filament come out, unloading didn't work, so I had to snip the filament and open up the extruder.

TIP: When snipping the filament, do so with as much filament above the PTFE tube as possible, to more easily grab it later.



I disassembled enough to have the heater assembly free and tried a cold pull, but there wasn't enough filament sticking out to get a good grip. So I unscrewed the heatsink (this time the heatbreak didn't follow) and could get the PTFE tube out easily. Not so the filament. I tried heating the tube on the bed and then pulling, but again with not enough to pull on. Eventually I used a small hex wrench to push out out from the other end, which worked.

Then I put the PTFE tube back in the heatsink, which was a mistake. I put it so far in that I couldn't screw the heatsink onto the heatbreak, and I wasn't able to pull it out without destroying it. Fortunately, I had a second one. Need to get more replacements, and maybe just a spare of each part.

Having mounted the heatsink on the heatbreak, I could insert the PTFE tube, but not quite enough, now the end would block the gears. So I took it apart again, pushed the PTFE a bit further in, and then it looked OK from my point of view. Not so from an actual functional point of view, it was high enough to hit the gears still. It needs to be barely visible above the edge of the hole.

I tried to align it better, but it took more squeezing than it really ought to, and one I had it in, the nozzle ended up being too low, possible because I couldn't screw the heatbreak far enough in. I will order a bunch of new tubes and spare other things, take the whole shebang apart, and then try first to install from fresh with a new tube, if that doesn't work then replace the heatsink - I think the black insert inside it has gotten damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment